Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Busy Day in the Stamp Room!

Happy Sunday readers! Today was a beautiful and sunny day in Northern Italy and the perfect day to have my shutters open and to let the light in!  I was a busy girl in the craft room today crossing TWO major projects off my crafty to do list.

My first project I worked on was a way to organize my framelits.  When you purchase them from Stampin' Up! they come in a thick plastic sleeve with a snap on the back to close them.  The framelits are attached to a piece of paper with some sticky adhesive and the framelits are very hard to get off sometimes (often I think I'm going to snap them in half!).  Since the plastic sleeves don't stand on their own, and when put in a storage box they tend to fall over VERY easily, I wanted to create something that kept them in one location, plus I didn't have to open each case up every time I wanted to look at the shapes.

This is where Pinterest was a blessing! I found a lady who used a half binder, its so cute and tiny, and magnetic sheets to create a binder for the framelits. I had originally used the same products she did.  I ordered the magnetic sheets from Oriental Trading and waited almost 3 weeks for them to get here...only for me to cut them the wrong size.  I was SO mad! I didn't like the weight of the sheet, it was too flimsy, so I saw another post on Pinterest of a lady using magnetic vent covers.  I texted my mom in the States and she went to Home Depot and bought me some.  They are the perfect weight!



I cut black card stock in half and the magnetic sheet to 5 inches wide by 6.5 inches long.  The heading I cut from the insert that came with the framelits.  I glued everything down and inserted them into half size page protectors.  All of my framelits fit in this binder and its great!

My second project for the day was making a light box for my blog cards.  I am always looking for ways to improve my card photography and a light box is exactly what I needed.  Since I didn't want to wait to order one online (plus they can get pricey), I decided to make my own out of foam board.  Once again trusty ol' Pinterest came to the rescue for the dimensions I needed to cut the board.


Pay no attention to the lighting because its not in the right spot but I wanted to show what the out come was.  I did a couple of test shots and its SO much better than what I was working with before!  I can't wait to tweak my images to make them work the best for me.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

EDIT on framelit project: I've had a few people ask me about my supplies I used for the framelit binder.  Since living overseas is hard to find the items I need, I ordered them off of Amazon, but your local Office Depot/Staples may have these in stock.

For the binder, I purchased one that is 8.5 inches by 5.5 inches.  The binder I used is a 1 inch capacity and works great.  I have 16 sets of framelits in there and still enough room for more.  A link to the binder is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00342VDWA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the page protectors, again I purchased these off of Amazon but look locally if you can.  I bought Avery Heavy Duty Sheet Protectors in size 8.5 inches by 5.5 inches, in a pack of 25.  A link for these can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XKW45Q/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT on the light board project: Again, I have had some questions about the project so I will share.  The board is made out of one piece of foam core board. I used the template from this website: http://operationwritehome.org/tutorialbetterphotos/ which has step by step directions.  Make sure to ALWAYS measure twice and cut once and use a yard/meter stick if you can to get straight lines.  When cutting the board, in areas you need to score, do not cut all the way through the board.  This will ensure you are able to fold the board and not have pieces fall off.  

I used straight pins to hold the bottom together to the to sides.  This way, I don't have to worry about it snapping in half with I move next year, plus it can lay flat for easy storage!

7 comments:

  1. Where did you find the half binder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon! I updated the post above with the information as to where I purchased the binder and page protectors. I purchased them from Amazon, but your local Staples or Office Depot may have them in stock! I hope that helps!

      Anastasia

      Delete
  2. Wow!! Anastasia, these are both things that I need to do...thanks for the inspiration!! Is the foam board all one piece or individual pieces taped together?

    ~Heidi @ Stuck on Stampin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for the kind words! The foam board is all one piece. When I cut it, I didn't cut all the way through so the board has 'score' lines for easy folding. I used straight pins to hold the bottom to the sides so that when not in use, I can take them out and lay flat for easy storage.

      I included a link to the tutorial I used. I hope that answers your questions!

      Anastasia

      Delete
  3. What size is the binder and protector sheets for the

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the specifics for the binder and pages can be found in the article above along with links to purchase them on Amazon. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete